Страница 1 из 2 12 ПоследняяПоследняя
Показано с 1 по 10 из 13

Тема: Formal - Informal letters and emails

Активный участник
    Благодарностей
    Сказали спасибо: 21

Post Formal - Informal letters and emails

It is really important and useful to know how to compose letters and emails.
    Especially when you're talking with representatives of university, employers and other important people.

This is a part of English writing.
    Hope you'll give your ideas and share your experience.

and I'll write back tomorrow

Активный участник
    Благодарностей
    Сказали спасибо: 257
    arakhiS,
    yes you are right, and created very helpful thread!

it is very important to know how to write formal letters. it is necessary when applying for a job, writing resumes, and recommendation letters!

Who seeks shall find.
    Sophocles

Экстраверт
    Благодарностей
    Сказали спасибо: 258
    really good topic to talk about.

so, from my experience, it has not smth to do with resumes or emails, but: now, i am working as a sports journalist (now, it is only football, but it is temporary), and i have to write and translate news, articles in formal way. Either does online textual translations. It is really difficult than i expected. My supervisor, he is the editor-in-chief of the magazine FUTGOL, each time finds mistakes in my works. I've learnt that headlines are always without dots at the end, and learnt that it is bad to repeat words. News have official, concrete, clear manner, and it must be as short as it can. No emotions, no feelings, just concrete and factual things. But articles and translations can be emotional, also you can share with your feelings while writing and holding them and it is your call how to write and hold it. But you should keep in mind the government censorship, your writing must not cross them, otherwise result can be sorrowful.

Активный участник
    Благодарностей
    Цитата Сообщение от DANIEL OCEAN Посмотреть сообщение

so, from my experience, it has not smth to do with resumes or emails, but: now, i am working as a sports journalist (now, it is only football, but it is temporary), and i have to write and translate news, articles in formal way. Either does online textual translations. It is really difficult than i expected. My supervisor, he is the editor-in-chief of the magazine FUTGOL, each time finds mistakes in my works. I've learnt that headlines are always without dots at the end, and learnt that it is bad to repeat words. News have official, concrete, clear manner, and it must be as short as it can. No emotions, no feelings, just concrete and factual things. But articles and translations can be emotional, also you can share with your feelings while writing and holding them and it is your call how to write and hold it. But you should keep in mind the government censorship, your writing must not cross them, otherwise result can be sorrowful.
    that' s cool! congrats! . translations, news should be neutral with no emotions. i read about it ))

Who seeks shall find.
    Sophocles

Активный участник
    Благодарностей
    Сказали спасибо: 38
    very useful theme to share experience)
    Fernando Torres - Свой среди чужих, чужой среди своих...

Активный участник
    Благодарностей
    Hey!
    Let me share my experience too

Letters as well as emails can be of three types:
    -formal
    -neutral
    -informal

I'd like to start with Formal Emails

At first, some notes:

* I think it's desirable if your e-mail address is also formal. For example, it can present your name-surname (john.smith@gmail.com), instead of sweety or vulgar words like puppy, baby, kitty etc.

* Your email should have a named Subject Header ("Тема"). Subject gives a main idea of your email. It must be specific. For example, "Room reservation", "Meeting on 13th of August", "Bachelor admissions", instead of "Extremely important!!", "Hello!" etc. It is not desirable if your email has no Subject (then it will have an automatic header "No Subject").

*Avoid grammar and spelling mistakes!

*Avoid using of shortened expressions. For ex., "Do not" instead of "don't". The same with abbreviations - write the whole phrase instead of its abr.

Concerning email's text itself, it consists of several parts (every part begins from a new paragraph):

1) Greeting
    Usually I start my email with
    -"Dear Sir or Madam, " (if I don't know a name\surname of a contact person)
    -"Dear Mr./Ms./Mrs Surname, " (if I know a last name of a contact person, also a marital status of a woman)
    -"Dear Name Surname, " - usually if I have no notion of woman's marital status
    -"Dear Name (if I may), " - just to be original :]

2) Introducing yourself (usually if it is the first time when you write)
    Usually I write "My name is Name Surname. I am from Tashkent, Uzbekistan" so, apart from your Name and Surname you can give some extra personal information, it depends

3) Stating the purpose of your message
    Here I usually use such set expressions like: "I am writing you to [do smth]...", "I am writing regarding [smth.]", "I am contacting you in regards to [smth]..." Apart from it, you can mention how did you come to the matter you are writing about; how did you find a contact person, it depends.

Also, depending on your situation, here you can state your reaction to a previous email from a contact person using:
    "Thank you for your email", "Thank you for your promt response", "I was pleased to receive your response" etc.

4) The main body of your email
    Switch on your fantasy as well as English writing skills and go on!
    Write only important details. The message should be logical. Ideas should be linked. Coherence/Cohesion

5) I always end my ideas with set expressions which make my emails well-disposed:
    "Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon"
    "I look forward hearing from you soon"
    "Thank you for considering my letter"
    etc. there are many variants you can apply

6) Leave-taking
    Oh guys, remember, here "Sincerely, _YourName" is a failsafe approach!
    You can also use:

"Sincerely yours,
    YourName "

"Yours sincerely,
    YourName"

"Frankly,
    YourName"

and more informal:
    "Best regards/Yours cordially/Warm wishes/Regards/Best wishes/Respectfully,
    YourName"

THAT IS IT
    Great job)
    Hope it helps. And for me, writing emails is a real pleasure, actually I fond of English writing. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask ;]

7. 2 пользователей сказали cпасибо arakhiS за это полезное сообщение:

lvrpool (14.08.2012),Manzi (14.08.2012)

Активный участник
    Благодарностей

Never have heard about FUTGOL. Is it Uzbek magazine?
    Do you wish to be a journalist?

And thanks everybody for your remarks. Yes, the theme is useful)

Экстраверт
    Благодарностей
    Цитата Сообщение от arakhiS Посмотреть сообщение
    Never have heard about FUTGOL. Is it Uzbek magazine?
    Do you wish to be a journalist?

And thanks everybody for your remarks. Yes, the theme is useful)
    yes it is uzbek magazine
    never give a thought about it)))

Активный участник
    Благодарностей
    yes it is uzbek magazine
    never give a thought about it)))
    are you working there now?

Who seeks shall find.
    Sophocles

Экстраверт
    Благодарностей
    Цитата Сообщение от Johnny English Посмотреть сообщение
    are you working there now?
    ah-huh!

Страница 1 из 2 12 ПоследняяПоследняя

Информация о теме

Пользователи, просматривающие эту тему

Эту тему просматривают: 1 (пользователей: 0 , гостей: 1)

Метки этой темы

Ваши права